Location: Washington D.C.
BIC is currently working to strengthen key international environmental and social policy requirements of the World Bank, with the aim of preventing harm to communities and the environment. BIC works closely with civil society, indigenous groups and communities in Burma, Bolivia, Cambodia, Egypt, India, Indonesia, Peru, Tunisia, Vietnam, and Yemen, to enhance their capacity and political space to participate in the design and implementation of development projects in their countries.
We are looking for a smart, proactive individual who has strong messaging skills, good grasp of international development issues, social media skills and media contacts, to help with our World Bank safeguards campaign.
Help generate media attention to World Bank’s safeguards review
- Help frame media pieces
- Edit BIC op-eds and blog posts if necessary
- Help place media pieces in publications likely to be read by target audiences
- Explore events with journalists and indigenous leaders in DC
- Generate media attention for CSO concerns, proposals, possible demonstrations during the World Bank Safeguards Consultation review process through April 2014
- Explore advertising in different media/venues
- Help generate international media attention around World Bank safeguard consultations in developing countries
- Generate ideas on how to better reach World Bank Management and Board of Executive Directors
- Explore and help develop and implement social media plan
Build capacity of BIC media team
- Build relationships of BIC staff with key journalists covering related topics (climate, energy, international finance, etc.)
- Arrange meetings with DC and NY-based journalists
- Revise media plan for safeguards campaign
- Significant experience in communications, journalism, or press relations;
- Established contacts with journalists and publicists.
- Strong messaging skills, and interest and ability to write sharp, succinct articles;
- Good grasp of international development issues;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Demonstrated commitment to social change.
From December 2014 to May 2015, with possible extension.
Send a cover letter explaining your interest in this position and resume/CV to email@example.com, by November 10th, 2014. In addition, 1-2 references are preferred. Write “Media Consultant” in the subject heading. No phone calls please. Due to capacity constraints, BIC will only reply to short-listed candidates.