Coordinator position in Cairo (part-time)
BIC is seeking a qualified individual to support its Middle East and North Africa program’s work in Egypt on a part-time basis. The successful candidate for this position will be based in Cairo and will coordinate with BIC’s Washington, DC-based team to maintain relationships with BIC’s NGO partners in Egypt and with contacts at the World Bank and other stakeholders. This part-time position is for a one-year period, with the possibility for extension based on funding.
• Meet regularly with BIC’s civil society partners in Egypt and maintain regular contact to follow up on collaborative work
• Attend meetings with relevant World Bank staff and other stakeholders as necessary to gather information and to further campaign goals
• Engage in a weekly call with BIC’s team in Washington, DC to report on developments on the ground and to discuss upcoming work plan
• Hold coordination meetings between groups working on project monitoring or specific campaigns to facilitate communication, information-sharing, and progress toward campaign goals
• Circulate notes and agreed-upon tasks from meetings, and follow up with participants to move work forward
• Monitor media and updates from partners related to several World Bank-financed projects that BIC and civil society partners in Egypt are following
• Assist in coordinating between groups and sharing information between various organizations involved in project-monitoring
• Attend meetings between World Bank project management staff and civil society or affected community members and assist in coordinating follow up
1. Demonstrated commitment to social justice
2. 1-3 years of work experience in a related field
3. Interest in and understanding of issues related to development and environment
4. Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in a related field such as international development, international relations, political science, or regional studies
5. Fluent written and spoken Arabic and English
6. Excellent communication and follow-up skills
7. Ability to obtain a U.S. visa and openness to traveling regionally and/or to the United States
8. Ability to work independently and take initiative to advance a set goal
9. Existing networks and connections to Egyptian civil society and activist groups preferred
Salary, Commitment, and Benefits
BIC will provide a monthly salary commensurate with experience.
This position requires a time commitment of 15-20 hours per week with a flexible schedule. The position may require occasional travel within Egypt to attend workshops or to meet with World Bank project-affected communities. The position may also require travel to Washington, DC to meet with BIC staff and to attend meetings at the World Bank headquarters.
This position does not include benefits. Expenses related to required travel and materials will be wholly covered by BIC.
BIC is based in Washington, DC and does not have an office in Cairo. The successful candidate will have the option of working from home or from a partner organization office, and will be able to utilize BIC’s network of partner offices to hold meetings.
Please send your resume/CV and a cover letter explaining your interest in the position to Katelyn Gallagher at firstname.lastname@example.org by January 1, 2014, with the subject line “Egypt position.” Include any requirements or time constraints.