Europe and Central Asia Program Internship
Location: Washington, DC
The Bank Information Center (BIC) partners with civil society in developing and transition countries to influence the World Bank and other international financial institutions (IFIs) to promote social and economic justice and ecological sustainability. BIC is an independent, non-profit, non-governmental organization that advocates for the protection of rights, participation, transparency, and public accountability in the governance and operations of the World Bank, regional development banks, and IMF.
BIC is looking for an intern for its Europe and Central Asia Program (ECA). An internship at BIC is ideal for individuals seeking greater understanding of the World Bank, multilateral institutions, advocacy, investment-lending policies, human rights and the environment. BIC interns cooperate with environment and social justice activists throughout the world. The ECA intern is expected to partner with civil society organizations, World Bank officials and local groups in the region. A significant amount of work will be devoted to the Energy Sector, Extractive Industries development, Transparency, and Accountability between the World Bank’s management and civil society. The ECA intern will conduct outreach to, and manage communication with, partners in a number of countries in the region.
- Review the World Bank’s assessments, studies and analyses for Problem Projects
- Maintain communication with BIC partners
- Maintain a watch and stay up-to-date on problematic projects in the region
- Provide logistical and organizational support for partners visiting Washington and BIC staff traveling to the region, including personal participation in relevant meetings
- Occasional translation
- Update BIC’s website with the work of the ECA program
- Excellent English spoken and written language skills
- Knowledge of Russian or another language of the Eastern European/Central Asian region
- Demonstrated commitment to environmental and social justice
- Experience and/or interest in advocacy work for Europe and Central Asia
- Ability to conduct independent research using a variety of sources
- Outstanding writing and editing skills
- Experience with, or ability to learn, basic website management skills
- Familiarity or interest in the World Bank and other international financial institutions
- Relevant coursework and previous experience in the field of International Development and Justice.
- Ability to work in the United States
Salary and Duration
Desired start in July/August. Internship will last through the Annual Meetings at the World Bank in October with opportunity for extension through the semester. The intern is expected to work 2-3 days per week. This is an unpaid internship
Send a cover letter, resume to email@example.com. Please write “ECA Internship” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. No phone calls please.
BIC is an equal opportunity employer, and encourages all qualified candidates to apply, regardless of race, gender, age, national origin, disability, or sexual orientation. To learn more about BIC, visit our website at www.bicusa.org.